Friday 6 March 2015

Digital Archiving


Digital Archive can be a range of different formats, it can either be presented as a website or as a page either through a blog provider or on Facebook.

Blogs = create a separate page to keep everything together
Website = online templates are great to start with
Facebook = not as professional but reaches a wider audience
Flicker = whole collection/ online backup storage

The digital archive required for this project will be marked on professionalism, I am creating an online portfolio and I will need to understand editing my work that gets showed.


How to choose a website provider ?

What is my purpose for the website? (Archive, Portfolio, Sales, Blog)
Do I need to be able to sell online?
How often will I update? (Some providers have limits)
Online Template or Dreamweaver?
How do I want to Showcase? (full bleed, slideshow etc.)
Do the images load quickly? (people don't like waiting)
Does screen size affect the display?
Optimised for mobile?
SEO ?
How secure are images? (Can people 'copy' and 'paste' from my website?
where is everything stored?
Good customer service reputation?
Does it fit my budget?


11 secrets to creating a good website

Clean and Simple is better
Full Bleed images, consider these
Update Often
Easy navigated user interface
Small Relevant bio
EDIT work down
SEO
Contact info easily available (Possibly put on every page)
Be social (link to other places your work is available)
Fast loading images and pages are better
Sell from portfolio



Throughout this post I have referred to the term 'SEO' this is Search Engine Optimisation, when searching on google the servers find the most relevant websites from the words you search. Optimising your website with more keywords means that the higher up in the search results your website will be and that means more traffic is directed at your website so more people will see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment